Here’s a list of some random songs I’m pretty sure every Australian knows.
And when I say “every Australian,” I mean every Aussie born and raised in this country. Yes, including my American-Hip-Hop-culture-loving Aussie hubby (I think he even knows these songs word for word).
(in no particular order)
- “The Horses” by Daryl Braithwaite
- “Working Class Man” by Jimmy Barnes
- “Beds Are Burning” by Midnight Oil
- “Waltzing Matilda” by Slim Dusty
- “Throw Your Arms Around Me” by Hunters & Collectors
- “Never Tear Us Apart” by INXS
- “Little Darling” by Jimmy Barnes
- “You’re the Voice” by John Farnham
- “Cry In Shame” by Johnny Diesel & the Injectors
- “Dumb Things” by Paul Kelly
- “Tip of My Tongue” by Diesel
- “Chains” by Tina Arena
- “Khe Sanh” by Cold Chisel
- “G’day G’day” by Slim Dusty
- “I Like Aeroplane Jelly” from the Aeroplane Jelly commercial
- “Simply the Best” by Tina Turner for an Australian Rugby League commercial
- “Down Under” by Men At Work
- “I Still Call Australia Home”
- And last but not least, any song by AC/DC
Are you an Aussie?
What do you think of this list? Am I missing any other iconic songs? I’d love to hear your feedback!